Sunday 28 July 2013

TEA BOX BASS OR WASHTUB BASS


TEA BOX BASS OR WASHTUB BASS

I really love the sound of the bass, that low, steady, beating string sound that seems to drive the rhythm. 
The sound of the washtub or tea box bass is half way between the percussion and the string section of the musical group, bringing them together nicely.
Thirty years ago, I could not afford a real electric bass, but as I am kind of handy I thought I could make  an acoustic bass. That I still have thirty years later due to the quality workmanship.
A friend suggested to just use a broom handle and a screw to attach the rope, the washtub was the expensive part at $35. 
 I Love Vintage Instruments, therefore my bass had to be something special. I hand picked all the wood to be used in  the construction of my bass.
I laminated a piece of Oak and Maple woods together and hand carved the back of the neck with a spoke shaver. There are six coats of lacquer over top of a linseed oil finish. The neck is about five feet long with notch on the bottom so that it stays on the rim of the washtub. There is a drilled bolt with a wing nut tuner and washer at the headstock. Though, there are many suggestions for string such as clothes line and aircraft cable, my choice is heavy gauge steel tie wire.
There is a difference between the Tea Box and the Washtub when used as a resonator. The tone of the Tea box is much more mellow and woody, as compared to the Washtub which is a bit louder and tinny.
I use a heavy guitar pick to pluck the string, This enables me to get a  nice loud clear note each time.


TEA BOX BASS OPEN AT THE FRONT FOR BEST SOUND
WASHTUB BASS WITH HAND CARVED NECK

No comments:

Post a Comment