Sunday 25 August 2013

EDGAR MONCH TORONTO 1967



EDGAR MONCH TORONTO 1967


1967 TORONTO, was an exciting time and place, it was Canada's centennial year. 
Canada had been a country for 100 years and the whole country was in a great partying mood.  
Toronto was a hot spot for musical talent, the Yorkville scene was home to what would become Canadian icons in the music world.
Edgar Monch had been living in Toronto for a few years and was very generous in sharing his talent for building superior quality guitars. 
FAST FORWARD 40 YEARS.......
I an always Looking for Vintage Instruments; Today I am at a yard sale just around the corner from my house and stopped because there was a twenty foot aluminium ladder on the front lawn.
I soon forgot about the ladder when I spied a couple of guitar cases in the corner by the garage.
I love yard sales because you get to meet the nicest people. They love to talk about their stuff and it is a great way to get the history of the items you purchase. 
Knowing the history and keeping it with the instrument has always been an important part of being the custodian of the instrument.
This lady had been a folk singer back in  the day, and classical music study was the norm for learning music.
She never made a name for herself and gave up on the instrument years ago. That was obvious by the amount of dust caked on the case. The guitar inside was immaculately clean though.
I had never heard of Edgar Monch before this day, but I could tell from the quality of the workmanship that this was a fine instrument. Her price was reasonable so I took a chance and bought it.
Once at home and after some research, I was pleasantly surprised to fine out just how well revered Edgar Monch was. His lists of students and guitar users are quite impressive. 

EDGAR MONCH TORONTO 1967

1 comment:

  1. Is this guitar still for sale??? whats your asking price if it is still available???

    ReplyDelete